Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What's in the water of Lake Wobegon?

If you ever thought Garrison Keillor was an amusing, unassuming fellow with a liberal mindset (just because he's on public radio), you might want to read this blog post from Dan Savage.

Boy. You think you know a person....

I'm suddenly proud of the fact that I've always found Keillor to be boring in the extreme.

Addendum: Thanks to an anonymous comment to this post, I was alerted to the possibility that Keillor meant his remarks as satire. I did some research and found this ... apology? correction? clarification? ... by Keillor himself. It seems inadequate and yet, it does seem to suggest that Keillor understands his attempt at satire failed and that he has some 'splainin' to do...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd point out that the original article by Keillor was meant to be satirical, and that fact completely missed Savage. It was one of those weird fights among people who are in complete agreement.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Anonymous said...

I'm almost embarrassed to say I'm a Keillor fan... or at least a fan of his amazing storytelling ability. He's an orator at heart and his strength is in the way he uses his voice. I think sometimes his 'satire' doesn't come across as well in written form. After reading his article, and Savage's response, it struck me that something was lost in translation. Keillor's no angel, but I don't think he's a bigoted homophobe (or at least not one who is stupid enough to put it out there in the public-- that's for the politicians).